Location: Houston, TX
Third Pillar Solar is seeking a Senior Legal Counsel to join our dynamic and growing team. This role will be Third Pillar Solar’s first Legal hire and will have the opportunity to oversee and engage in legal matters touching all parts of the company. This role is responsible for overseeing, supporting, and managing legal matters related to project development, procurement, construction, operations, and financing. This position provides a unique opportunity to join a small, experienced group of professionals focused on a rapidly growing sector within the clean energy industry.
This role reports to the President of North America of Third Pillar Solar LLC.
- Provide legal counsel and services regarding all aspects of the company’s project development, procurement, construction, operations, and financing, including without limitation preparation and negotiation of equipment supply agreements, power purchase and other offtake agreements, construction agreements, lease agreements, interconnection agreements, transmission services agreements, tax abatement agreements, operations and maintenance agreements, other service agreements, joint venture agreements, joint development agreements, financing agreements, and other necessary agreements.
- Support preparation of filings and applications to local, state, and federal agencies.
- Support project financing, including debt and tax equity investments.
- Assist in day-to-day resolution of legal issues as they arise in connection with development, construction, operations, and financing.
- Collaborate with internal subject matter experts (e.g., Development, Finance, Technical, Origination, etc.) and ensure compliance with company policies and preferences and bankability standards in connection with agreements and matters.
- Maintain corporate records, ensure retention of complete records, and provide support for compliance with contractual obligations and applicable law.
- Work with and manage outside counsel and local counsel on appropriate scope for applicable legal matters, as necessary.
- Other tasks and projects as assigned.
Direct Reports: None
Travel: Minimal (<10%)
- Ability to take a commercial, practical solution approach to the provision of legal advice, appropriately balancing risk and employing sound judgment.
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment and handle a variety of projects, manage competing priorities, and coordinate multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Self-motivated and self-disciplined.
- Ability to think and work independently, but to be collaborative as required.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Adaptable to meet fluid and changing needs.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Top academic credentials, including a Juris Doctorate from an ABA accredited law school.
- Admitted to practice law in at least one U.S. state, preferably Texas, New York, or California.
- 5-7 years of experience (including 2-3 years relating to renewable energy) with a large to mid-sized U.S. law firm, as in house counsel with a major project development company, or similar.
- Experience in development, construction, operations of renewable energy projects and knowledge of a broad spectrum of project development agreements.
- Experience in project finance, non-recourse debt, and/or tax equity investments.
- Experience managing outside counsel preferred.
About Third Pillar Solar
Third Pillar Solar is a renewable energy developer founded in 2021 focused on developing high quality floating solar projects across North America. Our experienced team comes from diverse backgrounds within the clean energy space and is led by development and technical veterans in the industry. Third Pillar Solar is backed by Quantum Energy Partners, a leading provider of private equity capital to the global energy industry, having managed more than $18 billion in equity commitments since its inception.